Monday, September 1, 2008

September Featured Member - Erin from BadraBoutique and Hijabi

This is another interview in a monthly series of featured members from the POEST team. These interviews are a great way for you to get to know our team and its members, as well as get some great information and advice from seasoned Etsians!

This interview is with Erin of Badra Boutique and Hijabi.

What is your Etsy shop address and name? Where else can we find you?
BadraBoutique.etsy.com is my etsy store. Badra is the Arabic women's name for Full Moon. I also make clothing for Muslim ladies at Hijabi.etsy.com. And my main website is BadraBoutique.com. You'll find things on there that I didn't make, too. lol.

What is the main thing you make and sell in your store? What else do you make and/or sell?
I mostly make clothing for festivals, rituals, SCA and other fairs. I love to make magickal items, like applique'd altar cloths, and other goodies. I'm also the maker of Ruby Moon Menstrual Pads. (which I think I'm out of right now, but will have some more in stock very shortly) I also crochet and knit and make snuggly warm things through that medium. I make horns for your head, awesome bags for magickal items that you might like to wear on your being. I sometimes work with clay and papier mache . Around Yule, I will have pagan ornaments for your Yule trees.

How and when did you get started with arts and crafts?
I grew up with a very crafty mother and grandmother, so it might be in my blood. LOL I started in the 1980's. I was one of those new wave types who grew up on Duran Duran and Depeche Mode in high school. I wanted to wear all the weird clothing and my mom simply wouldn't buy it for me, so I started making my own clothing in the mid 80's. Soon my friends were asking me to make things for them too.

Where do you get your inspiration?
Movies movies movies. ok, and some tv shows. LOL. I'm a huge fan of fantasy movies and some tv shows like Robin Hood on BBC. When the LOTR museum exhibit came to Houston, I think I spent most of my time examining the tiny details of the costumes displayed.

What are your favorite materials?
Anything natural, cottons, linens, rayons, etc. I buy fabric by the bolt when I can. I think I have more fabric in my shop than a lot of fabric stores! LOL.

As a member of the Pagans of Etsy Street Team (POEST), tell us a little bit about your Pagan path and what being Pagan means to you, especially with regards to your art or craft. I've been a pagan/witch for 23 years now. I'm of the Taureleo path... no not taurus and leo. Taureleo is of the Quenyan language and means Forest Shadow. I guess the easiest way to describe my path is that it's very neutral, recognizes both light and dark magicks, and is very green. By green, I mean very natural, one with the earth, organic, greenwitch like. It's also a little Dianic in the way that we are a Matriarchal lead path. But we do recognize the God and do have men in our covens. Paganism to me is not only a religion but a way of life. I feel I am one with the forest that surrounds me. And I am part of it as it is part of me. Same with magick. I don't feel like I *use* it...but am instead part of it as it is part of me. I have my very neglected Taureleo website at www.taureleo.org if your'e interested in learning more about what my path is. It needs a lot of updating tho. LOL.

What advice would you give to beginners in your art or craft?
Learn the Pagan Student Bill Of Rights. And please don't read anything by Silver Ravenwolf and take it seriously. Her books are contradictory in unto themselves. LOL. Search for good teachers and don't believe everything you read or hear. NEVER stop learning and always question everything no matter what.

What advice would you give other Etsy sellers and those interested in opening up a shop?
Go for it. What have you got to lose? and last but not least,.... you'll never know unless you try it... so just do it. :-)

Is Etsy a full-time job? If not, what else do you do to pay the bills and how do you balance Etsy with that and other things in your life?
Yes, for me, Etsy is my job. I'm a stay at home, work from home, homeschooling mom and wife to a wonderful Asatru husband who supports all my crazy ideas. lol. I have two shops, my normal one and I also make clothing for Muslim ladies on my other shop so if you see scarves , etc that look Muslim on my site, yes, I make their clothing as well. They have been the most wonderfully positive people I've ever met in my life and nothing like the negativity you see on TV. LOL. Other things I do... I'm an avid organic gardener, lover of books, and owned by my brat cats. LOL. Many magickal blessings to everyone!


4 comments:

The Muse said...

Beautiful work! Simply stunning!

magickmermaid said...

Great interview! Lovely work!

Unknown said...

Very Nice Erin, your quite the talent!

Tammy L Sexton said...

Love your caftans! Would love to see more of those!! :0)

Tammy
Ivonnardona's Creations